Today was the first session for my new digital project. We were given three themes to choose from, and I have chosen ‘Scanned Memory’. The theme description is ‘A Simplistic, purer and more ethically correct way of life: away from consumption, stress and rigid must-haves – towards favourites and a genuine feeling of well-being. Think x-rays/see through chic/lightness/delicacy.’ I have chosen this theme as it fits my style of artwork the best.
In this session as a group we discussed values we associated with each theme. I used these words to help me find imagery to use for my moodboard.
Some of the words we came up with for Scanned Memory were: pure, minimal, free, delicate, layers, nature, clean, raw, fragile, simple, light, white, see through, calm, well-being, soft, airy, gentle, pale, organic.
Next I chose 5 key values from these words to help me choose appropriate imagery for my moodboard.
Today I learnt how to develop film in the dark room and it was so much fun! Last week I was given a film camera with black and white film in. Unfortunately the weather was grey and rainy all week so some of the photos were a bit dull but good enough to use to learn the process.
The first stage is to unroll the film in complete darkness and put it into a film spiral. This in then placed into a development tank which once shut doesn’t let any light inside of it. Next you add diluted developer and swirl the tank around every minute for 10 minutes. Pour out the developer and pour in some film stop for 30 seconds. After put the film stop back in its bottle as this can be reused. Pour film fixer into the development tank and leave for about 5 minutes. The final stage is to wash out the tank with water to remove any left over chemicals from the film and dip the film in wetting agent.
Once dry I created a contact sheet from my negatives. This helped me choose which images I would like to develop. To develop photos from the negatives I placed the image I wanted to develop into the projector and then did a test strip onto the photo paper. To create the test strip I exposed the photo paper in 2 second bursts covering up more of the photo paper each time. This gives you a stripy kind of image from light to dark that helps you choose the best amount of time to expose the photo paper to light for.
Once I had exposed my photo paper for the right amount of time for my image I took it over to the tray with developer in it. It is best to leave it in the developer for around 2 minutes whilst gently moving the tray around. Next I placed the photo into the film stop, then the film fixer. After I thoroughly washed off the photo and left it to dry. I developed quite a few of my photos, some of them were a bit grey and flat but a few of them came out really well! I really enjoyed this process and will definitely do it again, I’ve got another roll of black and white film to use already!
Today we held a cake sale to raise money for the Mothers of Africa charity. The quilts were all up on display in the heartspace which sparked attention for the cause.
We sold all of our cakes and raised about £60! It was a really successful day, we also sold a few raffle tickets and got a couple of donations. It was good fun to make posters and little signs for each cake to make our stand look more inviting and pretty.
A couple of days ago I received an email asking me to create a piece of artwork for a USW Fashion students pop up shop in Cardiff. I accepted the offer and today went and did the painting! Angharad wanted me to paint a feature wall as part of her pop up shop for her brand ‘Two of a Kind’. She is selling jumpers that she has made and wanted a wall to take photos of her customers in front of. Her poster featured hands in different positions, and she wanted something similar for the wall. All of her profits will go to the homeless charity The Wallich.
My initial drawings
My initial drawings
I sent her some initial drawings which she was happy with so I brought them with me today to the pop up shop in Duke Street Arcade. I used these as a starting point and painted hands in blue and orange around the edge of the wall as a frame for the photos she wanted to take. Above this I wrote the tagline ‘The jumper is just the start’ in black.
The pop up shop being set up
The completed wall!
The pop up shop being set up
It was a great experience to work to a brief and have a go at something I haven’t done before, and I loved being able to help a good cause. Painting the wall gave me some publicity which was amazing!
This project has enabled me to gain an in depth knowledge of textile techniques within print and stitch. Weekly drawing sessions have improved my eye for detail and helped me become more free with various mark-making techniques. These sessions formed the basis of my themes within my final samples and I am proud of what I have created. I mainly focused on nature, marks and patterns. This has enabled me to create a carefully thought out collection of 12 samples with considered designs and colour choices. These last few weeks have been incredibly useful and enjoyable, and I will definitely be developing the techniques I have learnt further in the future.