I visited Roath Park again for some inspiration and got some photos of lily pads. This gave me the idea to try collaging some frogs and lily pads to create into a pattern.
I collaged some frogs in my sketchbook using textured paper I had painted with acrylic paint. The frog on the far left was my first attempt, but I wasn’t happy with the face and the arms and legs look a bit odd. I chose to try collaging some lily pads to go with the frogs, as I thought they would work well together as motifs. The paper I used for the lily pads was painted with ink. The sitting frog in the middle worked much better and looked more realistic which I was happy with. The frog on the right worked well as a fun character, but I wasn’t sure if it would work as well in a pattern. My second attempt at a jumping frog worked much better and I think the textured lines in the colour from the paint work really well.
I scanned in my sketchbook pages and started to edit the motifs in Photoshop. First I made slight changes my using the eraser tool to neaten the edges and the hue tool to adjust the colour to match my colour palette.
Once I was happy with the motifs I put them into Illustrator and used the Pattern tool to create a repeat. I chose a 1/2 brick repeat for this design. I love the simple combination of greens with the flower on the lily pad, and the jumping frog creates movement in the design.
Once I was happy with the placement of my design I had a play around with backgrounds, I am always drawn to white backgrounds but I think my collection needs a variety of backgrounds to be successful. At the moment I quite like the yellow background, I can imagine it working well on a dress or some leggings for a child. Overall I am really pleased with this design, I think its fun and fits my brief well. It has been good to try out completely new motifs from what I was using last term, as they are working much better than some of my previous designs.